For the past few weeks I’ve been doing “lightning reviews” of one of the most-watched televisions shows in history by Black people since the Cosby show. In fact, Issa Rae is more important than the Cosby show because Issa Rae is NOW, and is the voice of a variety of our voices in our very non-monolithic Black generation. (Growing up, I watched the Cosby kids wishing I could be like them. I watch Issa because I feel like I AM like her).
I want to do my small part in progenating conversations about this epic show. Usually, I write essays that 4 people read. And in order for me to get faster with posting, I take notes during the show on scenes that I will commentate on before the final credits roll.
Because today, I spent 5 hours cleaning my very small room in my parent’s house.
Today, I threw away tons of old stuff representing old thoughts that are clogging my pipeline I’ll be using to siphon off 6 figure blessings as a full-time writer.
And today, I ate a smoothie bowl with a special brownie crumble on top, so…
Today, I’m high.
And if you want a more in-depth (in order) analysis of this episode?
You’re just gonna have to watch.
But take a peek at my Notes. (Only Insiders will get it.)
- Perfect Molly.
- I WISH A MF WOULD CALL ME OR ANYTHING ABOUT ME BORING!!! ( I can’t believe that Molly just brushed it off? I mean, how are you going to really integrate someone into your life if they don’t even wanna hear about what you do? I mean, since we’re the generation of “eating off of your passion,” I’m sure lawyering is not just a job for Molly…trust me. You’re going to see this come up as a reason for some foolery later. Hopefully with the snack who popped his head in the office…
- Issa rapping 🥰
- wtf is that fine *ss dude at the lawyer’s office?
- Black women laughing about “losing a black man” to white women and NOT GIVING A FUCK.
- Perfect Molly (coiffing her hair during sex 😉 )
- How spoiled is that child gonna be??
- The baby looks Asian or something
- WHOA wtf is that joke that the father just made about the baby? #TRIGGERED.
- This is the way Amanda’s gonna actually be when she has a child.
- NATURAL. 👏🏾HAIR.👏🏾 CLIP. 👏🏾INS👏🏾!
- That NOD, YES I WANNA TALK look that Issa does sooooo subtly. 😏
- LOOK AT THAT FAKE ASS BABY AMANDA IS HOLDING! (for a few split second scenes I swear that was not a real child!)
- The Issa on the other side of the mirror talkin bout “I got shit goin on over here too!” 💀
- Molly just LOOKS rich. And wealthy.
- Mmmmmm. I wanna kiss my main.
- But back to Issa and Molly’s convo…damn Molly seems needy. I mean I know she needs her friend right now but she has to take consideration for the pressure that Issa’s under. Looks like she can’t just be NOT effing up SOME relationship with SOMEONE, even if it isn’t her man. I guess it’s hard to juggle being vulnerable in two important relationships. On her defense though, I know it’s hard to feel like all you want to do is just talk to your friend, even if you haven’t’ been seeing eye to eye, for weeks now, even months. Hell, sometimes years – only to have them call you to ask you a favor.